0330 053 5823

London Office

Cosey Homes is a professional practice of skilled Chartered Surveyors and structural engineers providing a wide variety of property surveying and consultancy services in North London and across the capital. Operating for more than 10 years and serving thousands of happy clients, you can count on us for impartial expert advice, high-quality reporting and great customer service.

Working independently from estate agents and mortgage providers, we are able to make unbiased judgements to enable buyers to make the right decision. We have the expertise and experience to compile valuable, well-formatted reports, allowing our clients to consider their purchase based on factual information. Whether you are concerned about specific aspects of the building or are looking for a clean bill of health, Cosey Homes is at your service.

Contact Us

Maple House, High Street, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, EN6 5BS


0203 764 7083

Which surveys do you offer?

If you are looking to buy a residential property in North London or anywhere in the capital, common sense dictates that you should take the necessary precautions to protect your investment. As experienced RICS Chartered Surveyors with extensive local knowledge, we specialise in carrying out RICS HomeBuyer Reports, Building Surveys and Residential Valuations in any type of property. Whether you are looking to buy an Edwardian family home or a modern apartment, Cosey Homes can help with:

RICS HomeBuyer Survey

A HomeBuyer Survey is a Level 2 investigation that we would typically recommend for modern properties of standard construction materials and methods that have been reasonably maintained.

The site visit consists of a non-invasive visual inspection of the accessible elements of the building, with the aim of providing an overview of the building’s condition and highlight any urgent issues or defects. Our HomeBuyer Report also includes a market valuation.

We use the RICS standard templated traffic-light reporting format for ease of reference and understanding, which has proven popular with clients. With a RICS HomeBuyer Report, you will have all the salient facts at your disposal to enable you to make a reasoned decision on how to proceed with your purchase.

RICS Building Survey

Our most detailed property survey is the RICS Building Survey, formerly known as a Full Structural Survey. This is a Level 3 report most suitable for older properties built at least 70 years ago, very large homes, or buildings that have been majorly altered in the past or are planning to undergo substantial refurbishments.

A detailed visual inspection of all accessible building elements is designed to deliver a thorough understanding of the building’s condition including any major defects such as structural movement, damp issues or timber decay. The Building Survey will also contain recommendations for remedial action and future maintenance, including costings.

Residential Valuations

Our highly-skilled RICS Registered Valuers have a wealth of London property knowledge as well as having been extensively trained in residential valuations.

Far more accurate than an estate agents’ informal market appraisal, a surveyor’s property valuation is based on solid valuation techniques and robust calculations that stand up in court, and can be used for a variety of purposes including matrimonial matters and divorce proceedings, personal asset valuations, insurance and (re)mortgaging purposes, as well as tax and probate matters. Contact Cosey Homes to find out more.


What type of survey do I need for a listed building?

For period properties, homes located in Conservation Areas and listed buildings, we recommend the RICS Building Survey. It is the only survey that will go into the necessary detail needed to cover the unique features and requirements of a historic character home.

Can I use the survey results to renegotiate the asking price?

A property survey will tell you about urgent remedial works that need doing, and may also provide cost estimates. Many buyers use this information to negotiate some money off the purchase price to cover the cost of any urgent repairs.

What is the difference between a HomeBuyer Survey and a Building Survey?

A HomeBuyer Report is a mid-range survey that produces an overview of the building’s condition, while a Building Survey is an in-depth investigation that covers all major defects. The latter is the best choice for older buildings, larger buildings, or properties with historical alterations.

Which is the right survey for my property purchase?

With such a lot of choice, it can be difficult to know which is the best survey for your property. This is where Cosey Homes can add value. We can talk you through the pros and cons of each survey type, outlining the options available and guide you towards making the best decision for your purchase.

What is meant by ‘gazumping’?

In England and Wales, a property transaction only becomes legally binding at exchange of contracts. Gazumping is an unfortunate, though perfectly legal, situation whereby the seller accepts a higher offer, pushing you out of the transaction, before contracts are exchanged.

How do I get my survey report?

Once our surveyor has finished compiling your survey report and it has been checked for quality control, we will send out your copy by email as a PDF document. If an additional hard copy is required, this can be arranged for an extra fee.

Choose Your Survey