0330 053 5823

Liverpool Office

Cosey Homes is an experienced team of RICS accredited Chartered Surveyors and structural engineers in Liverpool and across the North of England. For over 10 years, we have been providing a wealth of specialist property surveying and consultancy services to many satisfied clients, delivering impartial expert advice, top quality reporting and customer service excellence.

As independent experts with no links to lending companies or estate agents, we can make impartial judgements about any residential property we survey. Using a tried and tested reporting structure that is easy to reference and understand, we give our clients all the factual information they need to consider their property purchase. Whether you are looking for a property with a clean bill of health, or are concerned about specific aspects of the building, Cosey Homes is at your service.

Contact Us

Unit 2, Craig Court, Standish St, Saint Helens WA10 1GJ


01744 412700

Which type of surveys are available?

If you are thinking of buying a residential property in Liverpool or across northern England, common sense dictates that you should take all the necessary precautions to protect your financial investment.

At Cosey Homes, our experienced RICS surveyors specialise in conducting RICS Building Surveys, HomeBuyer Surveys and Residential Valuations. Whether you are considering the purchase of a contemporary beachfront apartment or a Georgian townhouse, we can help with:

RICS HomeBuyer Survey

For modern properties built in the last 70 years using conventional methods and materials, and having been maintained to a reasonable standard, a HomeBuyer Survey is likely to be the right choice.

This Level 2 investigation consists of a non-invasive visual inspection of accessible building elements that is designed to produce a useful overview of the building’s condition while highlighting any urgent defects. Cosey Homes surveyors use the RICS templated traffic-light reporting system which is easy to understand and free of jargon.

With a RICS HomeBuyer Report, all the salient facts are at your disposal, enabling you to take an informed, considered decision on how to proceed with your purchase.

RICS Building Survey

The RICS Building Survey is the most in-depth report produced by Cosey Homes. Formerly known as a full structural survey, this Level 3 investigation is most appropriate for very large properties, buildings that are older than 70 years including historic homes and listed buildings, as well as properties that have undergone major alterations, or where substantial refurbishments are planned.

A detailed visual inspection of all accessible building elements produces an in-depth understanding of the building’s condition including any major defects such as timber decay, damp issues or structural movement. You will also receive expert recommendations on repair, remedial action and future maintenance.

Residential Valuations

We have a team of skilled RICS Registered Valuers who know the Liverpool housing market well, having been extensively trained in residential valuations. In contrast to an informal appraisal given by an estate agent, a surveyor’s property valuation is based on robust valuation techniques and technical calculations that stand up in court, and can be used for many purposes including insurance and (re)mortgaging purposes, matrimonial matters and divorce proceedings, personal asset valuations, tax and probate matters.

Contact Cosey Homes to find out more.


Do I really need a property survey?

We absolutely recommend that every buyer commissions a property survey before agreeing to the purchase. Any building can suffer from hidden defects that can cost thousands to repair. Instructing a qualified surveyor is the most reliable way to ensure potential problems are spotted, allowing you to make a considered decision about how to proceed.

How do I choose the right survey?

It is easy to be overwhelmed by the choice of surveys available. At Cosey Homes, we will talk you through all the options, outlining the pros and cons of each and guiding you towards the best survey for your property with professionalism and expertise.

Which survey should I get for a period property?

For older buildings (>70 years) including Victorian and Edwardian homes, as well as listed buildings and properties located in a Conservation Area, our recommendation would be a RICS Building Survey. As a Level 3 survey, it has enough detail to cover the unique features and requirements of a period character home.

How long will the survey take?

The length of the site visit largely depends on the individual property – its size, type and condition as well as the type of survey requested. As a general guideline, we allow around 3 hours for a Building Survey, our most in-depth report.

Does every survey include a valuation?

Our RICS HomeBuyer Report includes a free valuation as standard, unlike many other companies who will charge extra. For other reports, valuations can be requested at an additional cost.

Can I use the survey to negotiate a lower purchase price?

If the survey has unearthed unexpected defects and recommends urgent remedial work, it is a good idea to share these findings with the seller. They may offer to put things right before the transaction is complete, or you may be able to agree a lower sale price to cover the cost of the repairs.

Choose Your Survey