0330 053 5823


Cosey Homes are a professional practice of structural engineers and Chartered Surveyors in Nottingham and across the Midlands. Our expert team has worked with thousands of satisfied property clients, delivering high-level advice, impartial guidance and excellent customer service. With over 10 years of industry experience and a team of highly motivated building professionals at our disposal, we are accredited by leading professional bodies including the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE).

We have a wealth of local property knowledge as well as the technical expertise to conduct residential property valuations, RICS HomeBuyer Surveys and full RICS Building Surveys. Whether you are considering the purchase of a small city apartment or a large country house, a modern property or a period building, Cosey Homes can provide you with an in-depth understanding of the condition of the building you are about to invest in, empowering you to make the best decision.

Contact Us

Nottingham admin office: NG4


0330 0535823

What are the different types of survey?

An independent property survey should be an essential step in the purchasing process, regardless of any specific concerns you may have about the building. Many structural problems and other serious building issues may not be obvious to the untrained eye, and need specialist investigation to get to the full facts. At Cosey Homes, we provide a broad range of surveys, reports and property valuations that are designed to provide you with the salient information to make informed decisions.

RICS Homebuyers Survey

RICS Homebuyers Surveys are designed to provide a reasonable amount of detail about a property. The report is laid out in an easy-to-follow format, with each defect addressed using a traffic light system to indicate severity, and features highlighted that do not currently meet building regulations. As a mid-range property investigation based on a non-invasive visual inspection, this type of survey is suitable for modern homes of standard construction that are in a reasonable state of repair. RICS HomeBuyer Reports provide the necessary facts to enable homebuyers to make informed decisions about how to proceed with their purchase.

RICS Building Survey

RICS Building Surveys offer the greatest level of detail and are the most comprehensive type of property investigation carried out by Cosey Homes. Formerly known as a full structural survey, this in-depth survey is most recommended for homes that are older than 70 years, including historic properties and listed buildings, very large houses and those that require substantial refurbishment and repair. After a detailed visual inspection of all accessible building elements, the report will provide a thorough understanding of the building’s condition including major defects such as subsidence, damp and timber decay. It will also contain maintenance recommendations and repair cost estimates.

Residential Valuations

Residential valuations are used for a number of purposes and provide a much more accurate house value than you might receive from an estate agent. Our team of experienced RICS Registered Valuers have been formally trained in property valuation techniques and robust calculations to deliver accurate figures that can be relied on in many official areas. We often assist our clients with residential valuations for probate, for divorce settlements, taxation purposes or personal asset valuations, or to submit to your insurers or lenders. For further information or an initial chat, please get in touch.


Do I need a building survey?

A survey can help you determine whether the property is as good as it looks or whether there are defects and repairs needed before you can move in. Survey results often save buyers thousands of pounds in remedial work later downs the line. Even if nothing untoward is found, it is good to have the peace of mind of knowing that all is well.

Do I have to have a survey on a new house?

Even new-build homes may not be in perfect condition, and we recommend a RICS Condition Report or HomeBuyer Survey to ensure that there are no significant problems with the construction or materials used in the build. Many structural problems may not be apparent to the layman, which is why an independent professional survey is always the best course of action.

Can I use the survey to lower the asking price?

A survey can tell you about urgent remedial work that needs doing, as well as how much this is likely to cost. Many buyers use this information to negotiate some money off the agreed sale price, or you could ask the seller to carry out the repairs before you exchange contracts.

What survey do I need for a listed building?

We recommend that the most appropriate property survey for a listed building is the RICS Building Survey. This Level 3 investigation will provide sufficient depth and detail to cover the unique features and requirements of a historic character home, along with professional advice on how to maintain it.

What is the difference between a Building Survey and a HomeBuyer Survey?

The main difference between these two types of survey is the depth of investigation. A HomeBuyer Survey is non-invasive, meaning only visible and accessible parts of a building are inspected. A Building Survey will take reasonable measures to check the condition of ‘hidden’ areas such as under floorboards and inside attics.

When will I receive the survey report?

At Cosey Homes, we pride ourselves on delivering the best possible customer service, and we will work as swiftly as possible to deliver your report. As a general rule, you should be receiving your report by email within 5 working days after the survey visit. Hardcopies in the post may take an extra day or so.

Choose Your Survey